Sunday, April 28, 2013

Matthew 1:16&17

Matthew 1:16 & 17
And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus who is called Christ.
So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, from David until the captivity of babylon are fourteen generations, and from the captivity in Babylon until Christ are fourteen generations.

Intrigues by this statement, I counted. Only got to two sets of fourteen and one set of 13. Not sure about the discrepancy. I looked online a little bit, would love to have a reputable commentary to read what they say on it. Some people said David is counted in the first and the second. I'm not sure, just like I'm not sure why a few kings got omitted, although those kings did wicked things, there were other kings included that also did wicked things that were included. I'm sure there were sound cultural foundation for the way it was put down.
That being said this is the account that Matthew put down. It does make you want to sit down with Matthew and discuss the choices he made on putting the genealogy together. Reasons why for certain things.

Summary:
God took a lot of people in need of redemption leading up to Jesus.
Not one perfect man. But a lot of people whose hearts belonged to The Lord and some that were not so faithful.

I know I skipped over Joseph and mary but in the next few verses it talks a lot about him so that will be my focus next.

Application:
Not much more application than from the last day, but just encouraged all the more in my time with God in the bible to keep studying and reading. I am excited to start studying my Savior's life :).

No comments:

Post a Comment