Thursday, April 18, 2013

April 18th, 2013

Matthew 1:7a Solomon begot Rehoboam

Conclusion of Solomon 1 Kings 11:4 Solomon turns away his heart after other gods.  His heart was not wholly devoted to God as his father David was. 

Facts on Rehoboam
His mother was Naamah, an Ammonitess
He became king of Judah (not king of Israel) and reigned 17 years

How he lost his kingdom (1 Kings 12)
Rehoboam consults with elders who had served with his father. 
The people have asked for a lightened load and promise to be faithful to him.
They advised him to be a servant to this people, and serve them today.  the people asked for a lightened load. 
He ignores their advise and listens to his friends instead and makes their load thicker.
Israel departs and appoints a new king.  Rehoboam is left to lead Judah.  The division in the land begins.

2 Chronicles 11 - his second wife, Maacah, whom he loved more than all of his other wives - daughter of Absalom, gave him his son Abijah. 
He appointed Abijah to be head and leader among his brothers.  He intended to make Abijah king. 
Rehoboam acted wisely and distributed some of his sons through out all the territories of Judah and Benjamin and to all the fortified cities.  He gave them food in abundance and sought wives for them.   All together he had 28 sons and 60 daughters. 

2 Chronicles 12:14 He did evil because he did not set in his heart to seek the Lord. 

Application

Be watchful, as I get older, to set in my heart to seek the Lord.  Do what I need to do to keep my heart wholly devoted on God. 

Seek to listen out to the counsel of those who have walked roads ahead of me. 

I think it can be an easy thing the older we get to be more complacent in our walk with the Lord.  We get tired - it is a lot of work to be an adult sometimes ;)  But it is so important that we make our priority Jesus.  And let everything else fall around Him.  And that we finish strong! 
I pray some day I can be a delightful old woman that shines Jesus love to my family and my friends and those I don't know... no matter what life circumstances come my way as I age, that every day will count.  Thinking of a verse recently I heard on Focus on the Family broadcast:  2 Peter 3:8  But do not let this one fact escape your notice beloved, that with the Lord, one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like one day. 

May each day I live, be as valuable as a thousand years.  Today is important to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment