Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Matthew 4:3-11

Matthew 4:3-11

Satan's temptations:
1. If you are son of God turn those stones into bread
2. If you are the son of God throw yourself down from the high place you are at
3. If you fall down and worship me I will give you all the kingdoms of the world and their glory

I have tried fasting before. I am terrible at it. I start losing my temper with my family really quick and I usually don't make it past 2 or 3 in the afternoon when I give in and eat.

So when I think of Jesus after being hungry in the wilderness for 40 days I think He is truly amazing. I always think I would never sell myself out to satan and what seemed easier at the time in that sort of situation. But I couldn't even manage a day like that.

So to fast and then have satan come along to tempt Jesus, I just have to admire Jesus for his response

He is prepared. He knows scripture well and uses it every time to guard against each temptation.

The first one, man shall not live by bread alone but by every word of God that proceeds from His mouth

Although He was desperate for food he chose to believe God would provide something better.

Throw yourself down
Second one

Feeling helpless and without strength that day it would have been easy to want to take the easy way out. Jesus responds don't out The Lord your God to the test.

The last one is to sell yourself out for what seems like the easy way out to the world. Instead of the path He was chosen to walk to choose what seemed like an easier way out. But he responded
Worship God only and serve Him alone.

The best part is verse 11: then the devil left and the angels came to minister to Him.

I wonder what it would be like to have angels minister to Him. Those angels made all that struggle in His wilderness bring healing to His soul.

Application
God is faithful
Stick with His plan
Follow His direction. Stand guard against His lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment